16 January 2012

Velasquez emotional after being snapped up by RSL

Mon, 01/16/2012

Sebastian Velasquez finally made it to the professional ranks when he was selected by Real Salt Lakein last week’s MLS SuperDraft.

The Colombian had a roundabout way of getting his dream move but was delighted that all his hard work as a junior had paid off.

Velasquez started at a small club in South Carolina before having an unsuccessful tryout with Barcelona’s youth academy and then finally settling at a junior college in the US and it is there where he attracted the attention of the RSL coaching staff who took him with pick 36 in the 2012 draft.

“I started to cry,” Velásquez confessed to FutbolMLS.com. “I was so happy. For me, it’s a reward for all of my hard work. Ever since I was a child I wanted to be a pro.

“I’ve been following the draft from here,” he added. “I didn’t watch the ceremony, but I saw my name online and was shocked.

“[RSL] told me they were interested in me and that maybe they’d pick me in the Supplementary Draft [next week],” he added.

“Just a few days ago, they told me to keep an eye on the SuperDraft. I waited and waited anxiously, and when I saw my name, I went crazy.”

No comments:

Post a Comment