1 October 2011

Barcelona's Adriano: I am not concerned about being a substitute

The Brazilian midfielder is determined to prove his quality and conceded that the club's injury streak may give him an opportunity to do so
Adriano Correia (Goal.com KR/Kim Jae Ho)
Barcelona midfielder Adriano says he is not worried about having lost his place in the team's starting XI.

The Brazil international has been pushed to a substitute role one year after moving to Camp Nou from Sevilla in a deal worth €9.5 million.

After featuring 31 times for Barcelona in 2010-11, Adriano has so far made only seven appearances for the club, four of which have come as a substitute.

But the 26-year-old stressed he is not obsessed with recovering his spot as a first-teamer and admitted that Ibrahim Afellay's injury may open the door to a regular place in coach Pep Guardiola's plans.

"Being a substitute does not worry me, every day that passes I am more motivated," he said during a press conference. "I am prepared to help the team, whether it is to play alongside my team-mates or to sit on the bench.

"Playing on the wing is nothing new to me. It is a bit different, because of the playing rhythm and the tactical position, but it thrills me, because you are closer to the goal and you have more chances to score."

Adriano added he is a valid option for the coach, regardless of the system he uses, saying: "Going from 4-3-3 to 3-4-3 does not harm me, because I cay either play at the back or up front, like I did against Valencia."

No comments:

Post a Comment